Friday, March 30, 2012

Account Wide vs. Individual Collection

During last year's Feast of Winter Veil, Lumpy dropped for my non-collector hunter rather than my collecting toon. I never learned that pet, and I still had the item sitting in my bags. Because account wide collections were still unconfirmed at the time, I held off using it in hopes that Blizzard would either guarantee the new feature or make pets Bind on Account.

Well, now that account wide collections seems like it's here to stay, I decided to test it out. I copied my hunter alt onto the beta and learned Lumpy. It was added into her personal collection as well as the Pet Journal.

After switching to my druid (main collector), I found that although Lumpy was not found in my personal spellbook companion tab, it was accessible through the Pet Journal. Yay! :)

I'm not sure if the spellbook companion tab will continue to exist once the Pet Journal is fully implemented, as it seems a bit redundant to me. Then again, it does serve as a useful tracking tool if you plan on keeping track of separate collections on different toons. We'll see what Blizzard decides to do.

Keeping both the new Pet Journal and companion tab in game does present a new issue though, which collection should you refer to as your "main" collection? The one exclusive to each character? Or the Pet Journal that acts like a stable for all your pets from every toon that you have? It's hard to say, and I guess it will be up to the individual to decide.

Anyway, I can finally breathe a little easier now that I know I'll be able to use Lumpy on my alt and then summon it on my main. I just have to remember that this is the beta still, so things could change. Hopefully for the better and not for the worst!

4 comments:

  1. Oh good news for you! Sad for me - I didn't get lumpy at all :(

    Very excited about pet battles and naming htem all though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sephrenya: I'd say it's more bittersweet. I still don't agree with how holiday pet drops are handled and wish Blizzard would find a better way to distribute the seasonal companions.

      Plus even if no one else is the wiser, I'll still know that my collection is minus one on my main collector (since Lumpy was from an alt and not my main toon).

      Delete
  2. The idea of your character having a personal collection separate from the group collection would solve the problem of having alliance players running around Stormwind with horde balloons.

    Don't even get me started on Lumpy, I could rant about that for hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Heartfruit: Leaving in the personal collection might also be the means to appease collectors that were hoping to sell any pets they have multiples of (across multiple toons). The Pet Journal would allow them access to all pets (to battle and level and such), while the individual toon's collection could be used to keep track and sell pets specifically learned by each toon.

      Delete

Creative Commons License
Perks N Peeves by Quintessence is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.