Monday, June 1, 2015

Crimsonwing Moth and Sapphire Firefly: One Always Spawned

Last week developer Jeremy Feasel (aka: @muffinus) responded to the concerns voiced about the upcoming Crimsonwing Moth and Sapphire Firefly spawns in 6.2. I tested it on the PTR, and at the time the moth did not have an instant respawn once one was captured.
"They were intended to be instant-respawn, fixed. There will always be one up."
It's great that these two wild pets have an altered spawning mechanic and they won't be exactly the same as the Unborn Val'kyr. Having at least one up at all times will make it a little less painful to hunt for.

I'll be honest and say that I'm still not thrilled about the way the pets are being implemented, but at the same time I'm grateful for this change to the original Valk spawning. It's as good a compromise as we'll get.

What will this mean for collectors, though? Once all of the pet spawns are discovered, there will be a lot of camping, sitting and waiting and server hopping. It will be a free-for-all, first come, first served. This in itself could be frustrating for some, especially those on a PVP server (yikes), but it's probably the lesser of two evils in this case.

I'm debating whether or not I'll be the first ones out there hunting for these two pets. Or if I should wait a few weeks until after the initial excitement dies down. Normally I go with the former. Word of new pets doesn't spread as quickly as a flashy new mount, and I've found that participation in the search for pets mostly picks up rather than dies down after the first few weeks. Only after maybe months does the interest waver.

Anyway, we'll see how I feel. Since these two pets are nothing spectacular and I'm not all that enamored by their spawning mechanic, I may just put it off until I've collected all the other 6.2 pets.

Then again, the itch to collect them all straight away might be too much to bear. My obsession with pets might compel me to sit for hours on end waiting for these two pets, against my better judgement. Well, that's what developers are hoping for right? Silly collectors like me who will do almost anything for a pet heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Perks N Peeves by Quintessence is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.