Friday, July 18, 2014

Just, Thank You

Yesterday was patch day for the WoD Beta. There I was happily going along, reviewing the new pets and items, when I noticed Perculia's Tweet.


If I could bold the question mark at the end of her Tweet, I totally would. A huge question mark was exactly my first thought and feeling. Just a giant "HUH?" Even after learning that Quintessence of Light is a new battle pet NPC coming in WoD (location unknown), that massive "what?" still remained.

Hell, I'm still in shock and disbelief.

Call me a huge pessimist and negative nancy, but my brain just can't seem to accept that this is a "tribute NPC". There are other things in WoW with "quintessence" in the name (or a variant of that), and those things definitely are NOT named after my character. Perhaps this is just another coincidence?


It doesn't actually depict my character, and the only factor that I can see that might tie it to me is that it kind of looks like a (fiery) druid in flight form?? (I play a druid as my main toon)

Well, crap. Now I'm probably coming off as ungrateful. 'Oh no, this totally awesome NPC doesn't accurately represent me in any obvious way... wahhh wahh.' Shut up, stop complaining and nit-picking and just appreciate it, right?

Please don't get me wrong though. If this Quintessence of Light really is my "tribute NPC", I am so so SO honored. But maybe it's the ever present self-doubt that I have; I can't bring myself to believe that I would receive such recognition. I don't really feel like I've done anything extraordinary or have any kind of standout personality. I could go on and list all the flaws and reasons why that part of me doesn't believe it, but it would turn into a pity-party so I won't do that.

I just... (I'm running out of words to express my thoughts and feelings here. They're pretty jumbled up, and I really don't know what to think.) Part of me feels guilty since there are MANY people in the pet collecting and battling communities, and every person adds their own priceless contribution in their own way. I'm truly just one teeny, tiny fraction of the whole. Without everyone else, I would be nothing more than an obsessive hoarder. I'd be alone in my passion for collecting pets.

So I guess what I want to say is... just thank you.

Regardless if it is or if it isn't my namesake, thank you to the developers and to the pet community. Thank you for being a part of my life in the most unique of ways. We've never met, we probably barely speak, but we share a common adoration for collecting pets and pet battles. Thank you for sharing your enthusiasm with me, and for allowing me to go nuts over something as mundane as a new rat pet or non-battling balloon. Thank you for making me feel like my silly obsession isn't so silly. Thank you for your time, energy, and for being just all around awesome.

If Quintessence of Light represents me in any way, thank you. So much. If it doesn't, still, thank you. Thank you for thinking of me. It's nice to know that I'm not alone in my passion, and that I'm a meaningful piece of the puzzle.

Sorry if this has gotten unnervingly sappy and cheesy, and I know I'm probably blowing this way out of proportion. But it's the best I could do to convey my thoughts on this somewhat overwhelming matter. What can I say? I'm easily moved yet have difficulty properly processing it all heh.

Anyway, I'll leave it up to the pet theorycrafters to devise a way to best defeat Quintessence. I look forward to reading all of the strategies. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Perks N Peeves by Quintessence is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.