Saturday, February 18, 2012

In Someone Else's Shoes

I've started a thread over at WarcraftPets Forums about profession based pets, and what if ALL professions (primary and secondary) had appropriately corresponding BoE companions associated with them. There are some great ideas from users that I hope some Blizzard developer snipes and adds into the game at some point. :P

Brainstorming to come up with just the right pet for each profession is pretty difficult, though! I was sitting at my computer mulling each one over for quite a while, and even then I wasn't very satisfied with all the ideas I came up with.

It's definitely a reminder that it's so easy to collect and simply enjoy (or complain about :P) the final product, but the creation and implementation is a rocky and often rough road to walk.

As a developer, I could see how one would WANT to pump out as many companions for everyone to love and squee over as possible, but on the other hand one would need to make sure those pets made sense and weren't too boring, corny, over-the-top, or hard to implement. The desire vs. the reality of the situation seems like a pretty large hurdle to overcome. And that's just coming up with the idea, nevermind actually modeling, animating, coding, and finding a place for the pet in-game!

I wouldn't be against pulling ideas from the community, though. If I were (strictly) a vanity pet developer, I know I'd definitely stalk all the forums and websites where collectors gather just to lurk and maybe glean some inspiration. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
Perks N Peeves by Quintessence is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.