Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mr. Grubbs

If you enjoyed farming for the Disgusting Oozeling (you masochist, you!) then you are going to absolutely LOVE the Cataclysm pet Mr. Grubbs. However, there is a slight difference between farming for the oozeling and Mr. Grubbs.

Before you can even go out and start killing a bunch of mobs in hopes for a special loot bag, you will need to do some prerequisite quests to gain a buff that will allow you to see the bag on the creatures.

The quest chain starts in Eastern Plaguelands, from the NPC Fiona. She stands just on the side of the road at the entrance of EPL from Western Plaguelands. Cross the bridge and you'll see her with her horses and carriage.

She will then send you on two quests to find her companions. Each one will then have you go on two more quests (one for each NPC) before having you return to Fiona. After completing all the tasks requested of you, she will give you a quest to "hop into her carriage." You do NOT have to accept or complete this quest in order to receive the buff necessary to farm for Mr. Grubbs.

Fiona's carriage should have a blue question mark above it and upon clicking on her carriage, it will offer three buffs. Choose "Fiona's Lucky Charm" and it should give you a buff with a blue rabbit's foot icon. This buff has no timer so I'm guessing it has an endless duration so long as you remain in the zone.


Once you have that buff, you are good to go kill yerself some grubs and devourers!

These gigantic yellow worm things are actually quest mobs and therefore don't really drop anything of significance if you're not on the quest. I had a low level warlock join my party to loot the quest items while my level 82 annihilated everything. Because the lowbie didn't have the buff, they weren't able to see or loot the bag. And since the loot bag (called Hidden Stash) is not a 100% guaranteed drop, having someone else loot the mobs helped me see which ones had a loot bag on it for me to collect. This meant wasting less time bending over to check each body for a bag. (yay for efficiency!)


Anyway, this is where the mechanics of farming for the Disgusting Oozeling come into play. The bag itself has a low drop rate, nevermind the chance of the pet actually being IN the bag that you've looted. Most bags contained a few copper to a few silver. In total I spent about 3 - 4 hours running around killing giant yellow wormy things. I can't supply hard numbers or even an estimate because after the second hour, I pretty much went into autopilot, one track mind, pet machine-mode. Talk about tunnel vision. lol. The number of mobs you have to kill may vary, but be prepared to kill A LOT of mobs.


Some last notes - the mobs that drop the bag are level 40 to 42. The hidden stash is bind on pick up. Mr. Grubbs is also bind on pick up (unlike the Disgusting Oozeling). And as with ALL beta items and companions, there is NO GUARANTEE that this pet or the way it is obtained will go live. there may be other ways to get this companion or the current way may change come expansion release.

In any case, I definitely hope Mr. Grubbs makes the cut and we get a chance to farm for him in Cataclysm! He's an absolutely awesome (and athletic) non-combat pet. I've always wanted a miniature grub. :D


And YES! True to this video, Mr. Grubbs will randomly do back flips up and over your head!! Sorry for the awkward screenshot. It's quite difficult to capture this little guy in action with just one image.

23 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking to my video! :)

    Great idea bringing a friend who can't see the stash drops - and yes the Hidden Stashes definitely drop off many mobs in the Plaguelands; not only grubs.
    It's hard to say if Mr. Grubbs could be potentially available in any Stash or only Hidden Stashes that drop from Grubbs. In my opinion, (if you are farming the pet) I wouldn’t bother killing anything else other than grubs until it’s confirmed they can come from any bag.
    Incidentally and irrelevant; I didn't even know about the pet - I actually got it while I was killing mobs for a Cenarion Grubb related quest - what a great surprise :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @sheffieldcj - a great surprise indeed! :D

    and i definitely agree that just to be on the safe side, it's probably best to concentrate on killing the grub and devourer mobs until there's more info on whether or not the pet will drop off any hidden stash off of any creature in EPL. the grub's yellow wiggling form started to irk me after staring at them for an hour+ though haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, funny story: I just got Mr. Grubbs - again. This time it was in a hidden stash that dropped from a Wretched Ranger mob. So - confirmed! Mr. Grubbs can come from hidden stashes other than those dropped by grubbs. I'm not sure if this also means he isnt so rare, or I just blew my equal chances of winning the lottery on getting a rare wow pet twice ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this post, I've farmed every single farmable pet in game (exept the parrot from STV). Im looking forward to farm this beauty all night long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could also be increased drop rates for testing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back in vanilla WoW I spent HOURS killing those yellow grub thingies in EPL in order to get some larva acid or something. I think a lot of other people did too. Could this pet be a nod to that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got the bag with the pet in it by killing one of the bats during a quest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaaaah, larva acid... what a fun farming that was :)

    Anyway, thanks for the pet info

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Kitchenlady - :) you're welcome and best of luck to you on nabbing mr. grubbs in cataclysm! i'm eager to undergo a farming marathon for him too haha.


    @StarCraft 2 - could be! i'm sure the devs had something special in mind when creating mr. grubbs. with the environmental changes to EPL, the mobs that dropped the disgusting oozeling are no longer present (the oozeling will probably still be around, just not from the mobs in EPL). mr. grubbs could be a replacement farmable pet for this particular zone.


    @Anonymous (October 6, 2010 8:09 PM) - yup, there have been multiple reports that any mob in EPL will drop the hidden stash (which can contain mr. grubbs) so long as you have 'fiona's lucky charm' buff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did the questline to become eligible for a Hidden Stash today. Began killing grubs and within 10 minutes I had Mr.Grubbs!!! Good Luck to all who farm for him, he's not just a Grub he does special TRICKS! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great guide! Took about 1.5 hours of killing. Go south west from Lights Hope Chapel for a great farming area.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It took me about 45 minutes to get one (from the start of the chain to get the buff to actually looting Mr. Grubbs). I was killing the Miscreation groups for the Hidden Stashes. The groups of mobs went down in one swipe, so I probably killed around 200-300 mobs before I got Mr. Grubbs. The drop rate is common enough that I believe most people will have it when they're simply questing in the zone if they have the buff on them. The drop rate is uncommon enough that many people who go there at 80 to farm for it may get discouraged before they get it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just got Mr. Grubbs in my first bag drop which dropped after about 10 kills. Call me damn lucky. I haven't even been farming 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yup, south of Lights Hope Chapel is the place! I spent approx 1 hour killing random bats and doggies, collected 7 bags. Then found the place below Lights hope, collected a further 14 bags in approx 30 minutes - I got my Mr. Grubbs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spent about an hour killing random things - summoners, zombies, other scourge and carrion grubs. I was actually on the way to start killing Miscreation packs, since they can be easily multi-shoted (I'm a hunter) giving three kills per second and I was just auto-shotting grubs that were on the way (there is a great amount of grubs between Light's Hope and Corrins Crossing very close to each other). Got Mr. Grubbs from one of the grubs stashes - I guess it was maybe 15th that dropped for me in total, so the droprate can't be very bad.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Went to Zul'Masher rounded up the group of infected Mossflayers (about 7 of them) the bag dropped 2 in one bunch and the pet was in it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can confirm that the majority drop off the grubs and apparently other mobs. I have three so far just doing the quests with my 80 dk. The last dropped off a zombie of some sort. I wasn't paying close enough attention. But, with three Mr. Grubbs in about 2 hours, I'd say the drop rate is really not as rare as many think. Too bad it's BOP, or I'd share it with my alts.

    Doing the quest chain is particularly important to get that lucky buff from Fiona. I'm looking some nice change too with my alts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey thx for the guide. Followed it and got my pet on my mage, who was in her low 50s i think. i was leveling about about 30min, and got roated by DW in the process too, along w/ every single mob w/ me too lol.
    Did it on my priest later, who was 80 at the time, took well over 200 kills and 1-1/2 hours.
    By far the best way seems to be to farm the grubbs south of light's hope chapel, even w/ 2 others farming, there were always many to kill, amd while they drop off mobs other than grubbs, seems more fitting this way hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I got Mr. Grubbs off of a spider guy. After trying for him for like, an hour and a half.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey, I only needed 20 minutes for questing and killing mobs till I found Mr. Grubbs :) It's quite easy and south of the light's hope chapel the respawn is really good!

    Good luck all

    ReplyDelete
  21. Crasy, got the buff and had Mr. Grubbs in about 10 kills. Looted off of a grub guy, though I did get bags off of the couple dogs I killed too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Killed grubs after doing the opening quests to get the buff. Mr. Grubbs dropped off the first Hidden Stash I found. Killed about 30 or so grubs to get it. For once the RNG was on my side since I got the Raven Lord mount the same night. Woo hoo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I highly recommend the grinding the miscreation groups that you kill for the prequest for charm buff from carriage. Got lucky mined dropped in about 6 mins. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
Perks N Peeves by Quintessence is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.